Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Beginning...

All stories have a beginning. Well the journey to our son Hadrian began on Wed, August 26, 2009. That was the day we learned of him and his impending birth. Of course the story of our family began years ago when Justin and I got married. So here is what brought us to today...

Justin and I got married on a beautiful day in June 2007. We had fallen quickly in love the year before and wanted the world to know it. I had always known in my heart that adoption would be a big part of my life. Its like it flowed through my veins. But it was always an "in the future" type of thing. We immediately strarted trying to grow our family the conventional way but after 2 years of trying and a few infertility treatments we were tired and stressed. I like to say we were on pause from trying. Justin wasn't able to go back to school and it seemed like we should focus our energy on that...and we did...until August 26th.

An acquaintance that I have through work approached me.
Acq: Leah, I have a personal question...Have you and Justin ever thought about adopting...
Me: Oh yeah, of course...you know...in the future...
Acq: Well.....(loooooong paaauuuuse) My cousin is pregnant. She is going to have a baby any day and they need a family. She is not able to keep him and they are basically scrambling to find a family. I thought of you....
(my mind was racing...she thought of us? No one ever thinks of us for anything.)
Me: Wow. Um...let me talk to my husband and we'll get back with you.

I nearly immediately called Justin. I was at work at this point and couldn't talk for long. I told him "There is a baby about to be born that needs a family, I can't give you details now, but I need you to just pray. I'll call you when I get off work" all he was able to say was "Ok".

So as soon as I clocked out I called him back and we discussed the few details that I knew...and we both knew in our hearts what had to be done. We decided to go for it. We have been wanting a baby and this baby is about to be born at any time and he will not have a mommy and daddy to take care of him. It breaks my heart typing that out. We were called to love this baby.

We have work that needs to be done to bring Hadrian home. We need to raise $4,000.00 and complete all the necessary paperwork. We are hoping to get this done as soon as we can as Hadrian's due date is rapidly approaching. Birthmom was at 1cm on Tuesday and the doctors told her she could go at any time. We are hoping he stays nestled in for as long as he can because of everything that needs to be done. So the more time we have the better. Our home study will begin next week with a social worker coming into our home. I would be lying if I told you I'm not nervous. It is hard to remember that she is on our side of this adoption when she comes in to our home for an inspection/intervew. I'm nervous.

I'm exhausted and I'm hungry. But I can't sleep and I can't eat...because I'm here thinking about my son...Hadrian Caleb Christopher...

I'm going to close with the Bible verse(s) I've been turning to for the past few weeks...
Isaiah 43:5-6

5. Do not be afraid, for I am with you;

I will bring your children from the east

and gather you from the west.

6. I will say to the north, 'Give them up!'

and to the south, 'Do not hold them back.'

Bring my sons from afar

and my daughters from the ends of the earth--

Oh yeah....

1 comment:

  1. Wishing you all the very best and you will be in my prayers till then.

    ReplyDelete